Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Okay, Fine, A Rant It Is...

Look, I'm fine with people having a different opinion than myself.  In fact, I encourage it, because it leads to interesting debate and diversity of thought and growth among our society.

But if you're trying to make a goddamn point, please use a method that doesn't tear down others.  Satire is fine, but remember that it's satire and not an insult-comedy night.  Not that I have anything against insult-comedy, but there are some places it shouldn't be used.  Like in a serious issue.

I just...It irritates me when I see people misuse satire.  Because I'm a fan.  I'm a big fan if it's done right. I'm not saying I'm proficient in it by any means, but sarcasm and irony have always held a spot close to my heart, and Satire brings eloquent words into the mix.  And you know me and words.  If you have a big enough vocabulary, you could probably get me to do just about anything.

But Satire is not the base mocking of a person and their beliefs.  Which is what I see labeled as satire mostly these days.  It's just not.  That is insult comedy and is fun for cheap laughs at a dive bar, but not a media in which you should be expressing your opinion if you wish to be taken seriously by anyone outside of your opinion.

I've never understood the draw behind political cartoons.  I really don't.  I get that other people like them and think they are a funny, eloquent way of expressing a disdain for a particular belief or side of an issue.

However, what they say to me is that it's okay to mock others openly, just because you don't agree with what someone else thinks.  And I don't think that's right or fair.  Because no matter which side it comes from, it is offensive, and someone's going to get their knickers in a twist, retaliate, and then the original side who came out with the cartoon will get offended right back.

Where is the fucking sense in that?  No, no one's going to get along all of the time, but for Fuck's Sake, people, can't we try and have an adult conversation about our beliefs without it degenerating into name calling and vicious mocking?  Please?

Are we not all adults here?  Because the last time I checked, I think all of us are.  We just never act like it.

Again, satire is fine, the expression of differing beliefs is fine.

Outright mockery and debasement and plain irreverence for something another person holds dear to themselves as you hold dear to yourself is not.

Remember that the people on the other side of the argument probably have pretty good reasons for being there -- just like you have pretty good reasons for being on your side of the argument.

Now, because I understand not everyone is going to feel this way, have at.  Run me through.  I dare you.

Might even laugh, who knows.  But for GODS SAKE, please just use your WORDS.

Until Next Time, Dear Readers,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment