Friday, September 2, 2011

So, I've Been Having Spontaneous Nose Bleeds This Week...

Yes, Spontaneous Nose Bleeds.

You should know a few things about me.  A) I don't have nose bleeds that often, and b) they've become more frequent as of late.

It all started last summer, while I was in the sunny state of Louisiana.  Which is not a smart idea, if you're thinking about it.  Louisiana is HOT already, and going during the warmest part of the year is not as much fun as you think it's going to be.  I loved the experience, but I'm also a masochist, so we know what that tells you.

Anways, so while I was down there, at one point during my stay I suddenly had a teeny-tiny nose bleed that I only noticed because I had allergies and was blowing my nose CONSTANTLY.  And whilst doing so, occasionally there would be a teeny-tiny amount of dried blood in my tissue.  I didn't really think much of it, since it was so small.  It was explained to me that the switching from superhothumidwarm to freezingcolddryairconditioning might cause a nose bleed.  I accepted this and everything was fine.

I didn't have another nose bleed until winter time.  I was at school, killing time between classes in the library and I was drawing.  As it was winter, my nose was runny, and had been for some time.  I was unable to locate tissues, and tried my best to sniffle it up.  This, obviously, was not the ideal method of stopping my nose from running, but I was too lazy to get up and catch it anyway (if this joke is lost on you, I'm really sorry).

Anyway, it wasn't until after I'd broken down and used my sleeve to catch my nose drippings (yes, I know, ew.  Don't judge me, I've seen you do it too!) that anything became obviously wrong.  Suddenly, on the drawing I was working on, there was a spot of blood.  And then another and then suddenly I had a gusher and I left my things in the library and ran to the restroom for paper towels to stop the bleeding and to clean up my mess.  Then I made sure someone had some antibacterial wipes to clean up better and I grabbed my belongings and made it over to the security desk to let them know I had a bleeder and they gave me tissues instead and things went much better after I stopped bleeding.

This was also easily explained by the fact that I was going from very cold to rather warm and dry in quick succession.

I didn't have anymore nose bleeds until this past week.

First one was on Wednesday on my way back from class.  I was just driving along, and I had my A/C off, and my window was down and then I got chilly so I rolled the window up and just jammed in my car to the music and didn't change a thing about the temperature.

And suddenly my nose just was very very runny.  Now, I have had a stuffy nose recently, so it's not completely unheard of that your nose could run spontaneously.  Except my nose doesn't normally run that quickly, even when it runs.  And before I knew it it was down my face and very wet and uncomfortable and luckily I had napkins in the car, because otherwise I don't think my hand could have taken it.  There was blood all over the place, except on my car or on my shirt.  Which I guess isn't exactly all over the place, but it sure did feel like it!

Anyway, by the time I got home it was pretty much done.  And everything was fine, it was just a weird spontaneous nose bleed.

And then, last night, while hanging out with the family, like I do every Thursday evening, suddenly it was like my nose was running, but down my throat, and it was gross tasting, and it was weird and I couldn't understand how it was just going down the back of my throat and not out of my nose as well.  So I decided the best course of action would be to blow my nose.  Which made it apparent that I was actually bleeding.

So, luckily I was next to the tissue box and was able to take care of everything.  We're attributing it to the fact that I have a slight anemia problem caused by a lack of iron. Or something like that.  Anyway, fact is, that I need to eat more foods with iron in them and start taking my multivitamins more often.  So that's what I'm going to do and hopefully tonight I will not have a nose bleed.  Because they're not fun.

Until Next Time, Dear Reader
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment